Best Tax Accountant in Toronto & Mississauga Excellent accounting firm! I had been to the Scarborough branch where I met Sohail; who is a quite person but very passionate, professional, and approachable. He and his staff take care of you every step of the way. They value your time and reduce your stress by responding and updating very quickly. Highly recommend.“" Karima Jivani 5.0

Skip to content

Reporting Investment in Stocks Accounting

5.01K viewsFeaturedTax Questions

I have investments in stocks. How do I report them in BK and in T2?

Randy Dueck Changed status to publish November 5, 2020

The stocks value will be reported in the balance sheet either at cost or at market value. You buy and sell the stock which will trigger capital gains. For capital gains reporting you have to track the sale prices and purchase purchase price of the stocks on an excel sheet. We can certainly provide you with a template to do so. You will also receive dividends from the invested stocks.

All type of income must be tracked in your books as each type of income i.e. dividends, interest and capital gains are taxed at different rates and require filling of different schedules on the tax return.

  • For dividends fill Schedule 03
  • For capital gains fill schedule 06
  • For interest income fill schedule 07

Doing bookkeeping and taxes for stock investment is not easy. If you need help with it please call us to setup an appointment.

Randy Dueck Changed status to publish December 23, 2019